Everything is difficult, yet okay. Day 5 & 6 refers to the count of days since the marrow transplant, the day of getting it being "day zero". She's actually been in the hospital for 18 days so far. Rosina is riding it our right now, confined to her room with a white blood cell count of 0.01 (aka 0). The nasty mouth and throat thing is called mucositis and is common with chemo, more common with chemo and radiation, and very common with people who are having bone marrow transplant treatment. She is at "stage 4" which is qualified by the fact that you cannot swallow. At all. You cannot swallow a sip of water. Talking can be quite difficult. The whole thing lasts about ten days and she has about five more to go. It's obviously unpleasant, although it was worse a few days ago and the doctor says that her mouth looks pretty good, considering. Someone comes by every eight hours to do a mouth treatment which consists of swishing a bunch of medicines and then spraying some stuff in there. She still has the morphine drip, which is the normal pain medication for this, and it has evened things out for her, although it certainly makes you less than alert. Several of us are taking turns spending the night in her room mainly because she can fall alseep at any time, including when she's going to the bathroom. Extra double plus thanks to Sandra and Ann for taking on that duty. A couple of nights ago at 3am she had a strong pain in her chest and they did an EKG and a chest x-ray there in the room, but it all turned out normal. It's hard to get more than a couple hours sleep at any one time, though. I was not feeling well yesterday morning and have not been out in the last two days; you have to be very cautious.
Nina and I went to see Caetano Veloso, a Brazilian singer, last night, and we called Rosina four times so she could hear the music over the phone. She sang along. All in all, she is hanging tough, forging ahead, and gaining ground in her road trip. Thanks all, for the support.
xo
ph
7 comments:
Brad and I went to hear/see Idan Raichel Project at UCLA Royce this evening. I was thinking about you guys and the time we went to see Caetano Veloso together many years ago. I was thinking about how great it will be when Rosina is well enough to go out to concerts once again... Then I come home and read the blog which talks about Peter and Nina at the Veloso concert! I think this is a good omen that Rosina that will be grooving again soon.
Lots of Love and good wishes, Valerie
Yo Peter, tough days indeed! Hang in there bro. We're praying here and sending positive vibes to you and Ro. Really looking forward to seeing you guys soon. Beijos nas criancas tambem!
That was me by the way, hahaha, forgot to sign. beijos, christiaan
Rosina is such a trooper, you can't imagine how difficult this "treatment" is -- and every time I've been there she is doing everything she can for herself. She is dressed and smiling. It is inspiring, I think I would just curl up in a ball and pull the covers over my head.
Not Rosina she is indomitable. I was there when Peter played the music from the concert for her and she sang the song to me and translated it -- and it sounded good!
Ann
We're all sending our warmest thoughts to you all!
I went out the Duarte and dropped off some white blood cells earlier in the week. The mountains were beautiful and the hospital serene. I hope once you get through this throat stuff it will be clear and happy sailing,
caroline, frank, julia & claire
To Ann,
thank you for such a wonderful comment about Rosina being so inspiring. That is truly so wonderful to read. I am here in Santa Fe, NM, too far away to be of any help, and it is so nice to read that she is truly doing amazingly well thru this nightmare. I agree that I would be curled up in a ball.
And to Peter,
thank you for updating the blog so faithfully. I am grateful to be able to find out how she is, and enjoy such wonderful photos.
And to Rosina,
love you and am so proud of how incredible a human being you are!
to all of you, love, beanie
Rosina amada...com o pensamento constantemente em você, desejando imensamente segurar sua mão e muito aliviada sempre por você ter uma família tão linda e forte e amigos pra qualquer momento. Isso é o que você plantou!
Estou em Porto Seguro, o show será daqui a trê horas mais ou menos e amanhã Trancoso pra descansar. Depois te conto como é aquele lugar , quando não está submerso!
I've booked my ticket to Los Angeles!
Estou sempre perto! Te amo, your sis,
ZD
PS-Peter, dear friend , we'll be together soon!
Post a Comment