Thursday, November 1, 2007

Day -7 (minus seven)

Rosina is getting a radiation treatment called TMI and I couldn’t remember what it stood for, so I googled “radiation TMI” and what came up was a whole lot about Three Mile Island. I don’t think she’s getting Three Mile Island radiation. It actually stands for Total Marrow Irradiation. Unlike Total Body Radiation, which is a common treatment in preparation for a Bone Marrow Transplant, this treatment pinpoints the areas that it needs to hit, and takes it easy on other parts of your body, like your organs. It uses the 3D map of your body that’s created by a CT scan to program where all the thousands of radiation “beamlets” are focused. You know how when you get an x-ray at the dentist they put a lead blanket on your chest and then the assistant goes behind some kind of Superman-proof wall for safety and they take a snap shot for 1/125th of a second? Here you’re getting that x-ray for an hour and a half - twice a day. However effective, like most cancer treatment, it stinks.

Rosina has been through two sessions a day for the last three days with one more day to go. She’s also getting chemo. It’s making her feel nauseous and achy. She hasn’t been eating, and she’s disappointed as the last two times with the chemo were much easier. This treatment is much stronger.

There is a plethora of drugs for allergies, sleep, pain, nausea etc., and frankly, when you’re doing this, sleeping through it isn’t such a bad idea. She’s hanging tough and will blow through this thing!

The nurses have been nice, you see the same ones much more than at Cedars. There are a lot of people at City of Hope who have been through some kind of cancer treatment there and they are loyal.

Visiting is a bit more sanitary – you need to wears a mask and gloves when you go into rooms on her floor. If you are interested in visiting, the best thing is to give her a call on her cell phone. But, just so you know, she could be sleeping while you’re there – no promises. The visit still counts. There is a link to visiting COH up on the right as well as maps etc.

Thanks as always for all the nice words and notes!

xo
ph

6 comments:

MicasMom said...

Peter, I think this blog should count as a doctoral dissertation for both of you guys -- the amount of information that we are learning about this disease and this process is just phenomenal. You and Z as a force together are just awe-inspiring and I am so touched by the incredible love that I am witnessing flow between you two. Thank you once again for sharing such an intimate part of your lives with your friends. I pray for both of you constantly and I am uplifted just knowing you and hoping that the light I am sending you will somehow...help.

xxoooxxx,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Visiting does require washing, wearing gloves a gown and mask. Both yesterday and today, Rosina drifted off for a few minutes during our visits (bring a book) and she wasn't feeling all that great but I think she was really happy for the company. We watched a video (she has a VHS and DVD player) and chatted. It's a much nicer place than Cedars and feels more comforting. Sorta hides the hatefulness!

xoxo
Ann

Anonymous said...

Minha querida, sei que você está passando um pedacinho duro. Sei também que está cercada de muito amor, luz e força e que essa combinação é invencível! Tudo vai passar e você vai sair mais forte, linda, feliz e sábia desse processo. Meu carinho pra você, Peter(que anda arrasando nesse blogspot), Jake, Nina e Will.
Beijo enorme
Annitas

Unknown said...

Hey Rosina, All of the East Coast gang is rooting for you. Sorry you and I will no longer be in the same blood type club, I think yours is an upgrade.
Three other people and I donated blood for a friend's operation. When he told me that he didn't know whose blood he had received, I asked him if he had any desire to sleep with Marty. Still don't have the answer.
Lots of prayers have your name on them. Hang in there. You are the smallest tough person I know. You give us all lots of inspiration.
Hope to walk on that beautiful beach with you soon.

Lots of love, Ann, Marty, Pearson, Nick and Sarina

Ale said...

aguente firme irma!! aguenta q ja vai passar essa etapa e tudo melhorará!
beijos e saude saude saude!!!!!

Anonymous said...

P&Z:
We know that you're fully occupied (an understatement I'm sure) but wanted you to know that you're in our hearts and thoughts every day. Z, we know that the tigress in you will prevail - you have all of our best love every hour and every day! We hope you can channel it!
XOXO, D,M,D3,G,& E