Monday, November 19, 2007

Day 10

This morning Rosina was moved to the ICU. As part of her “vitals” - temperature, blood pressure, pulse – they also measure her oxygen intake. It is normally around 100% or maybe 98%. This morning it was at 78%. Dr. Forman was there and they started by giving her an oxygen mask. It brought the levels up, but without the mask, they went back down, which meant something is wrong with her breathing. They brought her downstairs to the ICU. They gave her a tube in her throat and a ventilator – a breathing machine - the whole deal. They did a bronoscopy where they look inside the throat and lungs with a camera and take pictures. She has some bleeding in her lungs. They’re not sure yet what it is causing it yet, probably some kind of infection – bacterial, fungal, etc., but the test results aren’t in quite yet. Her heart is okay (another possible reason for weak oxygen intake). They just need to be extremely careful and diligent because her body has no defenses right now. She is basically knocked out as is normal for someone with a tube in their throat. For a while they keep your wrists secured to the side of the bed so you don’t accidentally wake up and pull at the tube. They took those off.

Okay, update, Dr. Forman just came by (I'm in her room). He said that this happens sometimes, but not often, as a symptom of a transplant. But they don’t really know why. Most likely there is an infection that is causing the bleeding. They send the info from the broncoscopy to several departments to assess. An infectious disease doctor has been by, a cardiologist, and the doctor who did the broncoscopy. Dr. Foreman said that she has been doing well today and they’ve been able to lower the amount of oxygen that they’re pushing down to the minimum level, which is good. She will probably be on the ventilator until Wednesday. It’s an odd machine – it breathes. In fact, if I’m sitting on a stool next to her bed holding her hand, the vent on the side on the machine exhales her breath right on me.

So, it’s not a panic time, but nobody wants to go to the ICU, patient or visitor. From day zero (November 9th) to around day seventeen (November 26th) you are walking through some dry dry land. But – everything seems to be okay.


xo
ph

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Rosina!
You're so strong -- I'll know you can pull through this lousy, horrible time.
I love you so much!
xxoo,
Catharine

Anonymous said...

Peter & Rosina, glad to hear that the nasty stuff is 'normal', which i'm sure is small comfort, dear Z. We're heading to Fort Worth, TX. on Wednesday for Thanksgiving with the country cousins. Yee ha.. It'll be alright, but it's one of those trips where I'm exhausted before we get there. It doesn't matter that we're all closer to 60 than 20, there are no adults at these big family clusterbombs. Everybody's 15 again. It's not without comedy, thank you jesus. I'll give you a full report when we return. Great big love to allay'all. Roderick

Anonymous said...

Peter, hang in there buddy! Tough days, ne? I'll be praying for both of you. Gambate!

Anonymous said...

Hello dear Rosina and Peter,
My mom just forwarded me the link to this blog. Oh, what bravery you both show here. What courage and heart.
I am holding you both in the light, as the Quakers say. We miss you and I can't wait to come and visit you when you are feeling better. Baby Rex will make you smile. He is a joyful, curious boy and I know he will bring you joy.
Much much love from us.
Emmy P.

Anonymous said...

One more week to go, and then you will be out of the woods, so to speak.
I'm pulling for you, Rosina, with all my heart and soul.
Wishing you continued strength and courage...
xoxo, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Petie and Rosina and family! We are thinking of you and praying for you and i am so happy because i can finally donate blood now that i am a match! Yipeee! EGV is O+!!!! Wahoooo! We are all giving thanks for the incredible doctors and the great care you are getting at COH and your continued strength. You are both so amazing. God bless u! xoxo, EGV

Anonymous said...

Hey Z and P,

thinking about you and praying for you all the time. sending every bit of strength I can through the air. We sang a song the other day - Holy Angels. It says " you are held by Holy angels all around you." I am sure that is true. We are there holding you too.

love.

daniel

Anonymous said...

Peter and Rosina

Your courage is tremendous. I"m amazed at how you guys are handling this, the tough part. Every time I read back over the entries, it is as if you two are the only people who know on a daily basis what this life is, what these moments are for. As always I am thinking of you both and send all my love and prayers.

- Pearson

PS - When it comes, a very happy thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Peter & Rosina,
Not much one can say during such horribly difficult times. But I hope all the love and strength and good wishes that are being sent directly to you both will somehow make a difference. Much love to you all - Lois

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter and Rosina.....it's the clasped hands that got to me. They say it all.....the love you have for each other and the strength that passes between you.....and the courage, too! I am feeling a bit better knowing your parents are with you! They are loving wonderful people. You are going to come through this....Oh, yes you are!!
We love you.....Cynthia & Jack

Ale said...

My dear sis!! We are here praying for your fast recovery!!
I wish from my heart that these hard times ends fast and you start getting well and felling better as I wrtite this. Bless and bright energy to Peter and the kids, who have been incredibly supportive, amazingly loving and very brave on this journey with Rosa. Their faith, care and love will help you all make throught these hard times!!!
Rosa, get well soon very soon!! I love you!!!
Saúde saúde saúde.

lea

Anonymous said...

My thoughts have already been articulated here by other friends/family, but put an exclamation mark on it for me. We're all pulling for you guys - in our thoughts and our hearts...

!

xx Liz K