Friday, November 9, 2007

Day Zero - November 9

This was earlier today when Rosina got to video chat with Brasil. Honestly, it was one of the few smiles of the morning. Lots of anxious tears surrounded it. Rosina is getting the bone marrow transfusion as I write.

The nurse went and got “the product” in this cooler labeled “BMT”. It’s a Coleman 8, which I think means that it can hold eight beers. It can also hold two bags of product. Without much fanfare, they did the two nurse crosscheck, which I like to call the “missile silo routine”, to make sure that she is who she is and it is for her, and then they plugged it in and it ran into her chest. She took a nap.

The donor bag is hanging on the left side of the IV stand. It's the big one with the red stuff. There are actually two bags for a total of about 1000mls, or four units of blood. An hour or so before it started I told our friend Jim that when they do it, light would shoot out her fingertips and a golden fan would appear behind her head, and he replied, “Doesn’t she do that already?” Yeah, she does.

Her white blood cell count is at zero right now. With her previous chemo, they got knocked to zero and then came back up. This time, her own cells cannot come back up, but the new ones will. It will take a couple of weeks just to start coming up.

I was looking at the label on the bag and noticed a couple things. One, the identity of the donor is not shared for a year, but – clue - I see that this marrow is from the British Bone Marrow Registry, and two, below the “O” blood type, it says “Rh Positive”, which is nice when your initials are “RH”!

Thanks everyone for sending your positive thoughts, prayers, juju and mojo!
xo
ph

8 comments:

Ale said...

Rosininha, tudo vai dar certo! Estamos aqui resando por voce!!!
Muito amor e muito carinho!!!!
beijos e saude saude saude!

Anonymous said...

ENGLISH HISTORY:
"Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!"
"We shall never surrender!"
"Each shipment of bone marrow from England includes a can of Courage Ale at no charge."
ONWARD, ZINA!

xxoo,Nanny and Gdad (what time's dinner?).

Anonymous said...

Suck that good stuff up, Rosina!

Peter, we're limping along without you. Bonnie's re-written the story for you, so that's ok. And POV has some new bunny designs he wants to run past you. Craig quit, and I'm taking off early to go shopping. But we'll be here with bells on (POV will, anyway) on Monday when you get back. Hug your girl for us! xo Kat

Anonymous said...

I hope that your sleep is deep and peaceful and healing! Nothing is better for you. I have thought of you all day today, as I played piano in my lesson and sent all the beautiful sounds your way.
Peter, your writting and photos are just great. So good to be able to check in and know what's going on.
Thanks so much, and extra love and encouragement to all!
bean and michael

Anonymous said...

Now we get to start counting up instead of down. I like that, let's get to day 1,968,496,443,5561....... with a healthy and strong Rosina! and Peter!

With so much love, Susan, Scott, Max, Megan, Sarah, Chris and Teddy

Anonymous said...

WHEW!
RH positive it is, and we are.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Liz

Anonymous said...

Dear Rosina and Peter:
Been keeping a thought vigil for Rosina's new bone marrow to grow and thrive. This will work.
Love, Ramona

Anonymous said...

Peter, this is your 2nd cousin Braddie (Betsey's sister) in Indianapolis. I have just read much of your blog...your words and pictures are wonderful and your love for Rosina and your children shines through. My prayers go out to you all, and I will, in fact, put Rosina's name on my church's prayer list. We have members all over the country and in Great Britain too. She is a courageous woman. Love, Braddie