Saturday, November 24, 2007

An Exhale

Yesterday I came down to see Rosina and all was basically the same. It's frustrating when there's really nothing you can do but wait. The hospital was pretty quiet. I went back up the hill.

I called in this morning and the nurse told me that they were planning to take her off the ventilator. I came down from Lake Arrowhead with my mother. Turns out they are going to wait until tomorrow (Sun) to take out the "vent" ("extubate" as it's called) but the news is generally good. Her eyes are open, she's squeezing my hand, and she can hear all the brazilian music I'm playing in the room. She has no bleeding, is doing more breathing by herself, and, very good news, her white blood cell count is beginning to rise. Today it's at 1.1. Two days ago it was at .2. We want it to get up to 4+. That's really why she's here - to see the donor white count go up. It's working. UPDATE: Later, same day - the white blood cell count is up to 1.6. Go white cells!


So many tremendous messages over thanksgiving, I read most of them to her. I know she'll read them all again. Thanks (for giving)!

xo
ph

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love to you, Rosina! Keep on growing that white blood cell count!!
We just got back from out of town where we had no internet. Thanks, Peter, for making it possible to catch up on all the latest. Web or no web, we're thinking of you guys all the time, and sending every positive grain of energy your way!
All our love,
Julie, Steve, Evan and Maddie B.

Anonymous said...

Rose,
tão bom poder saber sempre de você, principalmente e especialmente quando as notícias são tão boas. Agora é só continuar em frente!
beijos, saudades, não vejo a hora de podermos estar juntas rindo como sempre fizemos.
Annitas

Anonymous said...

Hey Pedro! Great news! You know, I hope that when Rosina is back in stride, that you keep this blog right where it is, for good. For me it's a daily reminder of how to stay humble and what truly matters in this crazy world of ours. Please promise that Rosina's Road Trip will be posted here forever as a reminder to all of what truly matters in our existence. Beijos.

Anonymous said...

Yea Rosina! What great news! I check in this blog every night to see how the lovely Rosina is doing and pray for her to have a strong recovery.Tonight I can go to sleep with a lighter heart. Thank you , Peter, for sharing your journey with us. Wishing Rosina lots of love and white blood cells. You Go Girl!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Your latest news has made our day!!! Those white cells are going to town and I just bet that by Mon p.m. or Tues. am. they will be up over 4. Peter, you are doing a magnificent job in being totally objective and I know it must be difficult for both of you. I agree with Christian who says just keep blogging. I plan to keep this Road Trip of dear Rosina's forever! We love both of you!
Cince and Jack

Anonymous said...

A little good news finally. Boy, I know the feeling, all the details and info you are posting take me back to 5 years ago,the waiting, the hospital jargon..phew............and I am worrying about my Lavalee gig.......puts it all in perspective.
Let me know if I can help, or at least distract for a moment.
more good news to come, I am sure.
Allen

Anonymous said...

From the East Coast Desk: Thrilled to hear that white blood cells are multiplying and dividing. We know she can, we know she can... Lots of love from all of us who think of you daily, The Cauffman clan

Anonymous said...

WBC! WBC! WBC! GO! GO! GO!
Lots of good vibes and love to Zina! We're thinking of you all the time. You go girl!

Love, D,M,D3,G,&E

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked the blog for some days and just heard from my mother all that has happened during this time! I was very shocked and just finished reading the last updates now. Anyway I'm very relieved to read that the WBC is going up fast now and that Guigui is probably going to be extubated today! These are very good news. I’m certain this is the beginning of the end of this entire nightmare! Good luck Guigui! I’m waiting to hear you soon!!! Good luck for all there!!!
Leonardo

Anonymous said...

It is thrilling to read that those white blood cells are coming out, and that Rosina too is coming out of the haze, even if ever so slightly.
I am SO happy to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter, I love the shot of the Christo Gates; how apropos! We all walk thru life from one gate to the next, and it's good to know that our Rosina is keepin on, keepin on walking too!
love to you all,
bean