Rosina is still in the ICU, and still on the ventilator. The results so far (that I know of) show that there was nothing in her lungs but the blood that had seeped in there, which means no infections - bacterial or fungal - which is good. It probably also means that she has Diffuse Aveolar Hemorrhage. It's a bleeding that occurs in the little sacks that take oxygen in to the blood. They don't know exactly what causes it, but it's certain that heavy duty chemo and radiation followed by an allogeneic bone marrow transplant make it happen. It occurs in about 5% of transplant patients and is one thing on a long list of possible complications that can follow a BMT. The treatment for it is steroids, and while it is a dangerous condition, it can be stopped and made to go away. Go away, says I. She is getting chest x-rays and they can see cloudy white indications that it is still there. As it clears up and she is getting enough oxygen by herself, they can start to remove the tube from her throat. This process takes about a day as you have to make sure the patient is gradually awoken and can breath by themselves before you remove the tube. I'm guessing it's not really comfortable, but it's also not uncommon.My parents arrived here today to help out, it's great to see them. It'll be nice for Rosina when she wakes up. I imagine it's been hard for them to be so far away from us during all this. There are so many of us who drifted here to Los Angeles without much immediate family close by. In our case, it has been an incredible outpouring of friends and community and we are so grateful for all of it. By the way, I'm asked all the time about how I'm doing, and I'm doing fine! Busy, yes, but fine. Please direct your positive thoughts toward Rosina, she's the sweet little train going up the hill. All the comments and emails are great; thanks. Will keep you posted.
xo
ph
6 comments:
Da-lhe Ro! Uma verdadeira guerreira. Gambate! Pete, thanks for keeping us up to date. It really soothes our anxiety and helps us focus on our positive prayers. Beijos.
Dear Peter,
Thanks for the detailed update -- I will be playing my collection of Rosina's Brazil CDs all weekend. Great idea! Thinking of Rosina non-stop...that little train has a big engine inside--one little chug at a time.
xo
Diane
Dear Peter and Rosina,
It is almost Thanksgiving, and I give thanks for your friendship over the years, and while there is no rhyme or reason that Rosina should have to go thru this, I am thankful that there are good doctors and attention to help bring her thru such difficult times.
I hope that we can be thankful that she will come out of ICU on such a day as this, and see Peter's parents and family and all the love that you share together.
We send love to you all,
bean, michael and zane
Via firme Rosina! E uds. tambem Peter e filhos.
Colleen and Jay
Dear Peter and Rosina,
I haven't checked in since Saturday; we are out of town. Crazy that I can come into the concierge office and go online and get your wonderfully detailed news. You always answer the next question I have almost as soon as it comes up on the old brainscreen... I like to know exactly what positive images to be beaming your way: I'm seeing Rosina off the ventilator and out of the ICU--I'm seeing her back in her room breathing deep breaths and building up that new blood. I'm seeing a smile back on that beautiful face of hers, we think she can we think she can we think she can! Love and thanks to you and Rosina for your beautiful spirits, and for helping all of us to feel connected to you, on this THANKSGIVING day. Nancy and Barnet
I am thankful that Rosina is my friend.
I am thankful that Rosina has a multitude of friends.
I am thankful that Rosina has a beautiful, loving family.
I am thankful that I get to spend Thanksgiving with my family and wish Rosina could be with hers at home.
I am hopeful that Rosina will be out of the ICU soon!
SO MUCH LOVE COMING TOWARD YOU TODAY AND EVERY DAY, ROSINA!!!
xxoo
Catharine
Post a Comment