Sunday, November 25, 2007

Looking Up (with a ways to go)


This is like a moment in a movie where the hero has achieved his goal, but is still stuck in a coal mine, or on a runaway train, or has to land the damaged space ship safely. Rosina was taken off the ventilator this morning at nine, and her white blood cell count had risen to 4.9 by the end of the day, a huge leap. Both of these are good and a relief to those of us standing by, but for her, she's woken up into a difficult time. Her body is sore, she's very weak, she can barely speak, and is having a hard time getting comfortable in any position.

The first two things she said to me were "My back" and "I'm afraid". This will all pass, but I know that for her, looking up, it's a long way to the surface. I told her that things were going well, to think of every calm, positive image she could, and let all the other thoughts slip away. I encourage you to do the same. In fact, let's all do that - think of one simple smiling image of Rosina and keep it in your head. I have a bunch. They tend to be surrounded by green or ocean.

She will most likely stay in the ICU for another day and then go back up to the Bone Marrow Transplant floor. The care in the ICU has been excellent and the nurses there are fantastic, both with their skills and their patience. As crazy as it seems sometimes, this level of health care is so sophisticated and really a privilege.

Will keep you posted from the edge of the woods.

xo
ph

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Considering what you guys have been through, I think the news could not be better. The "I'm afraid" part is inevitable really isn't it, I mean to wake up feeling drowsy and to think you have SOMEONE ELSE'S bone marrow!! C'mon! I think that would really freak me out! I will meditate now diligently on Rosina's smiles, that will not take great effort. Love. Beijos.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! No more bleeding, off the ventilator, white cells piling up...I'm glad my visualizations are paying off, ha ha! But it must be Godawful hard to be where she is right now. I hope this movie has no more complications for our hero. Good idea Peter, we will all redouble our efforts: I see Rosina now smiling and comfortable. Beaming Rosina. Yes. Yes! Love from Nancy and Barnet

Ale said...

Those are good news indeed and it will get even better, we all hope! I have speak to Rob, to the sea, to the angels of the city and above asking for help in the chain of positive thoughts for Rosa. I know that under that petit woman there is a strong being with much to make and create still in this life and with good health.
Keep on making these good cells!!!
Saude saude saude!!!

Anonymous said...

"Amanhã
Será um lindo dia
Da mais louca alegria
Que se possa imaginar
Amanhã
redobrada a força
Pra cima, que não cessa
Será pleno
Será pleno..."
Keep swimming, dearest sister, we are all together, just waiting for your eyes, your voice, your kindness.Love, Zélia

Anonymous said...

So great to hear some positive, encouraging news even though it is too early to physically feel the improvement, Z. I hope that through all the discomfort you can feel a little bit of the psychic hug that I am sending you right now. Being busy visualizing and manifesting into third dimension...you, me, cocktail, beach. Hmmmm -- remember the trip we planned when you are well? I'm mentally packing our bikinis right now!!! Come on girl -- you've GOT this. I know it. Love you much.

Steph

Anonymous said...

Rose querida,
muita força e ânimo que tudo tudo tudo vai dar pé.
Beijos
Zezé

Anonymous said...

Rosina, estamos rezando por você.
Coragem e fé.
Beijos Marisa, Mario e Daniela(minha filha mais nova)

Anonymous said...

Rosina,
bella bambina! I just sent you a letter, we are so happy you are off the ventilator and the blood count is going up, keep getting better, we have work to do (see letter)
a presto,
Anna, Daniel, Amy & Alex

Anonymous said...

Dear Rosina and Peter,

We just found out. We will keep an image of a happy healthy Rosina in our minds.

All our love,

Marisa, Bill, David and Gillian Berry

Anonymous said...

Rosina and Peter---we follow the blog every day and are thinking of you. We are so happy to read of the good news. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
xoxoxo
Love,
Becky (snyder), Kipp and Jake Fawcett

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter and Rosina and family:

Things are definitely looking up!! This is great news!! Now just keep on keepin' on...

Love, Ramona and family

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news!!!!!! Hang in there, Rosina!!!!! We're picturing you on the beach, relaxed and happy. Hope you can go there in your mind for now, and in reality asap!!!!
Love, the Bernsteins (J,S,E&M)

Anonymous said...

Oh what happy news!! I have a picture of Rosina's beautiful smiling face as my screen saver. We are thinking of all of you with positive energy and above all, love. Go white blood cells GO!!
xoxo
Julie, Tyler & Macky