Sunday, December 16, 2007

Three Wedding Pictures


Today, December 16th, is our nineteenth wedding anniversary. I remembered this one. We actually got married twice. The first time was in Pennsylvania, and since Rosina's family was all in Brasil, my mother, a woman with three boys, got to plan a wedding. For Rosina and me it was really easy. We showed up one week before the wedding and there it was. It was at night, black tie, and the church was decorated with greens for Christmas.

Months before we had decided to get married, Rosina was in the attic with my father and he was opening these old boxes of dresses that belonged to my Grandmother. They were all from the twenties, flapper dresses and evening gowns. Rosina said, "If there's a wedding dress in that box, I'll marry your son." And there was. It's the dress Rosina actually wore for the wedding. My grandmother wore it in 1927. Rosina put finger waves in her hair and wore these cute silver shoes. She looked great. My father lost it when he saw her all dressed up like that. He walked her down the aisle.

Our second wedding was in January in Brasil. It was at her brother's ranch about an hour and half from Rio de Janeiro. Her bouquet was made from flowers gathered around the property. We wore white, we were barefoot and we got married by the bank of the river that runs through the property. It was pretty groovy. The justice of the peace that married us was completely wall-eyed so he managed to look us both in the eye at the same time. The ceremony was in portuguese so Rosina squeezed my hand when I was supposed to say "sim" (yes). After the ceremony, we climbed up on this big rock and jumped into the river. It all seems very fairy tale right now. It's like a movie where all this nice stuff happens and it's charmed and romantic and then later in the story the wife gets sick and while you're drawn in and feeling it, you're kind of pissed off that the nice story took this highly dramatic and uncalled for turn. It certainly sharpens your appreciation for the easy times. Most of which you didn't even know were that easy. I love you Z, here's to many more years. Nineteen's not a very big number.


Rosina is holding steady, opening her eyes, and proceeding very sloooowly. So far, so good. We have a mile of baby steps. Thanks so much, everyone for your concern and kind words, and help.

xo
ph

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea it was your anniversary today. But I was thinking of you today ( as I always do) and these same exact thoughts came to mind-- What a "storybook" romance you two have. How you fell in love, married and created a beautiful family together. Then, out of the blue, Rosina is dealt this random, crappy blow and you are bought to your knees...
Peter, you are a Prince, and Rosina is Sleeping Beauty.
Yesterday, Brad and I looked into Rosina's lovely eyes as she was slowly awakening. We pray for her full recovery and for many very happy anniversaries to come.
Love, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Yes, Peter, 19 is not a big number, the biggest number in the world is two, You and her...Happy Aniversary.
Lots of love,
Zel

Anonymous said...

I remember the second wedding date (the Brazilian leg!), mainly because I was best man, padrinho. It was a beautiful day! My 2 former band mates were getting married. It was sunny and gorgeous and both of you looked great. 19 is a fine number! 20 will be even better when both of you will be together celebrating the tough days left behind. Beijos.

Anonymous said...

Here, here! I second Christiaan's post!
Except that I wasn't best man (sniff!).
But my 2 former band mates got married (I guess maybe we were in the same band, eh?), and now everything you wrote here (Peter) has made me well up just a bit.
Life is a story.
Congratulations on your 19th anniversary to both of you. Can't wait for 20 so we can all celebrate together.

xoxo
Liz

Anonymous said...

My song for the day: "... you'll (both very soon) look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two"! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Peter and Rosina!

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter and Rosina:

This is absolutely beautiful. Happy anniversary. Here's to many, many more...

Love, Ramona

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! You two are what fairytales are made of...I guess this crappy stuff had to happen to ramp up the tension in Act 2...looking forward to the happy resolution in Act 3!

Love you both SO much...
Stephanie B.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! We were singing for you at the Golden Bridge last night, a concert on the theme of water and Yemaya, the water mother goddess. I had you both in my heart the whole time, but never more than when we sang "Courage My Soul":

Courage my soul
And let me journey on
Though the night is dark
And I am far from home
Praise be to God
The morning light appears

The storm is passin’ over
The storm is passin’ over
The storm is passin’ over
Hallelu

Marriage is a beautiful thing, and yours is an inspiration.

love, love,love,

daniel

Anonymous said...

Yes yes yes!
That's beautiful what Daniel wrote.
I remember the picture of you jumping off the rock in Brazil, and I always thought how wonderful that was...so wonderfully symbolic in so many ways. But I never saw the Pennsylvania photos and Rosina is so beautiful, and the story is so sweet- Lucky for you Peter, that there was a wedding dress in the box! ha ha ha.
I send you all our love on this anniversary, one that will be remembered in the past as "when Rosina was healing" and here's to next year and all the rest-You are both cherished people, and you have beautiful children and there will be easy times ahead again.
tons of love, beanie&michael

Anonymous said...

Wow. Your weddings were so beautiful. We wish you two could truly be celebrating this day, but we know you'll make up for it on your 20th, and your 21st, and all the years to come. Peter and Rosina, you are inspiration to us all. May you very soon be able to look back on this whole experience and continue with the celebration of your life together.
All our love, Julie & Steve

Anonymous said...

Um mais um é sempre mais que dois!

Que o dia de hoje seja mais um pra te trazer de volta devagar, no seu tempo,como tem que ser.
Beijos e carinhos,
Zel

Anonymous said...

Que legal rever a foto do casamento de vcs!!! Saudades!! Poxa, já tem 19 anos?!?
Feliz aniversário Guigui e Peter!!!
Estamos torcendo!!!!!!!!!
Muitos beijos e muitas saudades!!
Tati

Anonymous said...

We sang our lungs out to you on your Anniversary ... did you hear? ... Bob, Dave, Dan, Peter, Nicole, Carol, Chris, Herb & Robert made a joyful noise for a joyful couple on their joyful day.
With much much love, we wish you many many more Happy Anniversaries.
xoxoxox,
Bob & Ann

Flavio Venturini said...

Oi Peter vendo essa foto me deu muitas saudades daquele lindo dia em Friburgo!Daqui penso muito me vcs e estou sempre torcendo para que tudo fique bem com nossa querida Rosina!

Beijos Flavio Venturini