Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Long Day


I'm here in Rosina's room, she's down in surgery. They're giving her a tracheostomy which is a tube for breathing so they can take the other thing out of her throat. (fyi - a tracheotomy is the incision, a tracheostomy is the plastic tube) Once she has that, she can wake up and get reacquainted with the daylight without having the thing in her throat (which requires sedation). It's much easier for her and it's still attached to the ventilator if she needs it. They are also giving her a tube into her stomach so they can deliver food there directly instead of continuing the IV feeding. Both the ventilator and the IV feeding, along with other things, can take their toll after a while. Assuming these things are working out okay, then she can continue to recover from all this stuff!

Later - after getting home. The first thing they had to do today, which they were doing when I arrived, was give her a new catheter in her chest. She's getting a lot of stuff intravenously and some of it can't be mixed, so they needed some new lines; they added three. It's a minor surgery that they do there in the room. Her hands and wrists are a bit swollen so it's not good for an IV line. They temporarily put one in her toe! Crikey! Then she went down to surgery to get the "trach" and the PEG (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy) tube. It's quite a job getting that bed and all the IV stuff etc. out of the room. She was in surgery for an hour or so and then back up. A lot of people needed to hook up a lot of stuff. By the way, I am continually impressed by the level of care that she's receiving.

But after she came back they did a routine chest x-ray and saw that there was air in her chest that was pushing her lungs to the side - it was probably from getting the catheter - so they quickly had to do another procedure there in the room to get the air out, and some fluid as well. So she's got another tube in her, in her side. Now there are eight, total.

But it's good she has the tube out of her throat and that thing off her head that holds it in place. She'll start getting some solid/liquid food directly into her gut and they'll start letting her wake up again. Again, we are proceeding slowly and with caution to get the girl going. When they did the last procedure, I don't know what she's aware of seeing, but she stared in my eyes for a solid minute. Then she closed them. I like her eyes.


Thank you all for your help and good thoughts and visits and everything that's coming our way, we feel lucky to have so many people close to us. Now do me a favor and sing!

xo
ph

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK then! Will do.
You guys are constantly in my thoughts.
I'm thinking she's done with setbacks. I'm glad your eyes were there for her when she stared.

xx Liz

Anonymous said...

Peter and Rosina--
We're all going to pull through this.
Catharine

Anonymous said...

Rosina, eres una mujer fuerte y nosotros te mandamos nuestra fuerza para que la recuperación sea mas rapida. Un abrazo para ti y los tuyos.
Juan y Wilfried

Anonymous said...

Peter, my love, I've been singing for you guys with my heart, with my soul, with my love, with my thoughts. Yesterday Rô sang for me Ave Manhã very loud , the whole neighborhood sang with her...this is my way to pray and feel closer.
when her eyes open again you'll be there again for her and she'll get better and better. Because you both want that. Eight tubes and thousands of wonderful reasons to come back! Let's go, sis, we are all swimming together! Lots of love,Zel

Anonymous said...

Minha Rô...abrir aqui e me deparar com seus olhos foi tão bom...eu tô aqui, olhando pra vc o tempo todo, não tiro os olhos de vc, viu? Aliás, nenhum de nós!
O retrato da Joni que vc me deu tá aqui na parede, ela olha pra mim todo dia e eu pra ela. Ela sabe o carinho que foi vc trazê-la pro Brasil!
Todo mundo pergunta, todo mundo torce, todo mundo sabe que eu sem vc não tenho porquê! Te beijo, sua irmã por escolha, Zel

Anonymous said...

OK, here's my song:

Here comes the sun,
Here comes the sun Little darlin,
Little darlin the smiles have returned to the faces
now it seems like years since you've been here
Little darlin here comes the sun,
aren't you glad to see it, I say it's all right
You can come on out. (The Beatles)

Anonymous said...

The Podunoviches send love,love,love. I have been visualizing Rosina walking on the beach - next year, the year after, then in five years, twenty and then - I don't know how many years - but nice and old.
I sing "Blackbird" by the Beatles to Ellie as her lullaby in the nighttime. Tonight I will sing for you, Peter, and for darling Rosina.
so much love the internet cannot it contain,
Emmy

Anonymous said...

Peter - We are sending sweet songs of love from our nest to Rosina and your nest.
Barbara, Bill, Billy and Piper
xo

Anonymous said...

Ro, canto pra vc, contemplo teu lindo olhar e rezo pra vc sair deste ambiente ae. Te amo. bjs

Anonymous said...

You have our songs and our hearts, Rosina and Peter. Thinking of you daily with all our love,
Julie & Steve & the kids

Anonymous said...

Singing and then some...
xox
amy, bob, and owen

Anonymous said...

It's been pouring in Rio for two days straight...Just woke up and realized that the rain is singing too.
Something like: WINTER, SPRING, SUMMER OR FALL, ALL YOU'VE GOT TO DO IS CALL, AND I'LL BE THERE...YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND.

James Taylor could be brazilian too!

Beijos, que o dia seja bom,
Zel

Anonymous said...

My oldest memory of Rosina - Halloween, maybe 15 years ago. Rosina was pregnant with Jake, and her stomach was painted like a Jack-O-Lantern. I don't remember much from when I was that little, but for some reason I haven't forgotten that...

You guys are always in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosina,
Thinking of you lots, and am so glad to see the progress you are making everyday. Peter is pretty amazing too, what a beautiful blog to keep everyone informed and updated. Your eyes do look beautiful!
I enjoy seeing Jake and Nina in carpool -- they keep me laughing and updated on "kid world".
love and lots of good thoughts coming your way...
Janice