Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Long Weekend

It turned out pretty well that I took Thursday and Friday off as these were days for sitting in the hospital. As predicted, there were some tough moments, but also some bright spots. The single hardest thing for Rosina has been a rash on her skin that is just painful, swelling her wrists and ankles and making it extremely difficult to get out of the bed. I mean painful just to get her feet on the floor, and a few times having to give up on that. She has been very strong during all this. I don't mean "I'll show 'em", she's just had a composed, practical strength. The kind of strength that lets you pick up a car when your kid's trapped under it. Although sometimes, you just gotta ask for the meds, go to sleep and ride it out. Today, Sunday, she was doing much better, but it's not all gone.

Here's her IV rack with Maxipime, Vanconycin, 0.9 Sodium Chloride Solution, (that mixes with a unit of) Whole Blood, and then more hydration with the bigger bag of Sodium Chloride Solution. When the blood was finished, they hooked up a unit of Platelets. Your blood is made up of red cells, white cells and platelets (a little 9th grade bio). The red cells carry oxygen, and not enough makes you anemic (measured by your hemoglobin count); white cells are your immune system, fighting bacteria etc.; and platelets clot your blood so it doesn't spill out all over the place. If you donate platelets they draw your blood, spin out the platelets in a centrifuge and then return the blood to your body. A bag of just platelets is yellow. Like a frozen magarita. She can feel the difference when she has a transfusion. She was hoping one of the first ones was from our friend Sandra, a Brazilian "Bahiana" (from Bahia) which promises heat and some crazy energy. Especially during Canival. They don't list the donor's name on the blood, but I can tell you that today's blood came from number W0505 07 000812. When you give blood, they give you a number, so if you happen to know that this is yours, contact us for your free prize!

Rosina wasn't eating much for the last few days, mainly just chicken soup, but for some reason she latched onto the idea of a roasted chicken, and today, our friend Amy brought one in. A whole chicken. Rosina just started eating it right there out of the Pyrex dish. That's it sitting in front of her in the picture to the left. That was good. We followed that up with a successful video chat with our friend Zélia in Rio de Janeiro which was a big success and a great boost. It's pretty amazing you can do that - and for free.
Our nephew Dan has been here for a few days and that's been great. His main job has been to keep Willie entertained, or maybe I should say con-tained. They went with Jake to ride roller coasters at Magic Mountain. Nina leaves tomorrow for three weeks at camp, and then after that, she's off to Ireland, Spain and Italy with her friends. She'll be home for two days in the middle. I don't think I ever went on a trip like that until I had a job. And then I couldn't go because I had a job.
From this point, it's about continuing the recuperation. Tuesday, she'll have another bone marrow biopsy to see how it's going with the "blast" cells in the bone marrow. You want to see as little as possible, preferably none.
I want everyone to know that my previous comment about soft sheets got more of a response than any other thing mentioned here, so I want follow up and let you know that the sheet problem has been solved. Thank you all for the kind words, emails, posts, calls, pictures, food, advice on sheets, driving and babysitting. xo ph
Joshua Tree xmas 2006

9 comments:

Marcos Portinari said...

hey rosina e Peter
all the best!!!!!!!

all my tought`s are with you guys
rosina querida força que a estrada é longa e temos muitos passos ainda para dar por enquanto no hospital e depois pelos rios da vida - ontem fui votar no anima mundi da Léa e lembrei de vcs

beijos e sabedoria

marcos portinari

Anonymous said...

While many photos on this blog are poignant, the only truly sad one is the picture of the (alleged) chicken and carrots from July 1. Thank you, Amy, for doing what all of who live far away wish we could do. Your roasted chicken is the antidote!

Anonymous said...

Peter said: "She's just had a composed, practical strength. The kind of strength that lets you pick up a car when your kid's trapped under it."

Well, that's called ki energy, so gambatte Rosina!! Vc ta arrepiando! Tenho certeza da tua melhora e a tua atitude e energia comprova isso!

beijos!

Christiaan

Unknown said...

Hello,
I have been following your journey. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am remembering my own personal experience from 1 year ago. I am going to see Dr Forman this week. I will tell him that I know you. I am celebrating my 1 year post BMT transplant this July 5. I would like to come say hello when you are up for visitors. all my love, Loryn Nicolodi

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosina!

Kathy from Peter's work here. I just want to brag on your husband for a second. You should know we ALL think about YOU every time we see Peter (I know we're supposed to be thinking about our film, but we're really thinking about you!)- which is a lot. So you've got a LOT of healing energy headed your direction from beautiful Glendale. You and Peter must truly be one, because he, too, has that calm, quiet energy that could lift a truck. He directs a film and he's thinking of you. He shows us his phone and he's thinking of you. He is clear and decisive and he's thinking of you. So I'm officially welcoming you to Dreamworks, where clearly you're spending your days, with us, walking with you through your journey. Bravo to both of you you for your spirit!

xoxo Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosina and Peter, I was at CEE this a.m. in a mtg. with Mylene and she told me about what you are going through--I had no idea, but I immediately ran home to check out the blog she told me about and have been thinking good, positive thoughts about you since this a.m.! I am leaving for a vacation this Friday, but just know that my best thoughts will continue to be with you wherever I am!!!!! Much love, Denise Barta p.s. I've always said I wish I had the face for one of those cute short hair-dos--you definately do! XXXX0000

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter and Rosina:

Only Rosina could look absolutely gorgeous under these circumstances! Keep on keeping on!

Love, Ramona

Sarah Bowman said...

Z -

Have tried to donate blood twice, only to be turned away for being one percentage point off the iron minimum. Am eating lots of STEAK for you, and taking some yummy ironpills.... Hopefully, will be strong enough to donate before I leave on Friday.

LOVE LOVE LOVE
Sarah

Danièle H. said...

Oi Guigui!
No meio da noite me lembrei desta foto de você em frente do frango deliciosamente dourado,e me veio à cabeça um monte de lembranças de você pequena! O Embaixador ia sempre comprar -um verdadeiro ritual- aquele frango, sempre no mesmo lugar ! Era para você!! Você só comia a pele! Ele ficava tao feliz!
Beijaozao ♪♪♪♫☺ Danièle