
Rosina is generally feeling well. Her platelets are up and down, she had a transfusion today and will probably have a whole blood transfusion tomorrow. Her hair has not left her head, although she can pull some out. The doctor said she'd never seen anyone hold on to their hair so long. Rosina says that it's still in shock from being cut so short. She continues to survive on food donations from friends and is liking it. Thanks, all, for the food.
Here's my Public Service Announcement #1 for the day.
For Bone Marrow Transplants, the City of Hope uses the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP). This is a registry of around 10 million people who are listed as potential donors for Bone Marrow Transplants. I mentioned the process a couple of times before, and you can go to their website to get more specifics about the actual process. Here I just want to tell you how you can get on the registry if you so desire. Unlike blood donations, there are no direct donations for specific patients (unless you are a full sibling or identical twin). What you are doing is throwing your name in the hat and supporting the whole program - and, it's possible that you could literally save someone's life. Although, if contacted, you are not required to donate.


Once you fill out the online form, they will send you a kit. It's really simple. It is four cotton swabs. You wipe them on the inside of your cheek, put them in the supplied envelope and send them back. That's it. There is a processing fee for signing up - $52. If you want to do it, here's the site www.marrow.org Click on "Join Now". The link is posted on the right side of the blog.
Also, you can go to the City of Hope Donor center which is in Duarte, east of Pasadena, and if you give blood or platelets as well, they waive the fee. I'd be happy to pay for anyone.
Here's Public Service Announcement #2
I have to say that we don't belong to any clubs or engage in many community type events, but it's our turn now - Here's an early reminder that September 16 is the Light the Night walk which is a fundraiser for Leukemia and other blood related cancers. It's a walk on the UCLA campus (actually they are all over the country). Jake and perhaps Nina will be team captains. We'll contact you at some point to help out and sign up!

Other very important news - Brasil beat Argentina 3-0 in the finals of the Copa America. Vai Brasil!
3 comments:
Hi Rosina & Peter,
Allen periodically updates me on issues like his tennis game, his tan, who he ran into at the bank..and very occasionally, more important matters. That said, I've been following your blog and was happy to read your recent good news. YAY! Rosina, stay strong! I'll continue to pray for you both.
With Love,
Lisa Barney Blackford
PS
I have two extremely beautiful children and I'm accustomed to looking at beautiful children every day. But wow - I had to do a double take when I saw your family photos!
Hey Rosina and Peter,
It's been way too long...I heard that Rosina was ill and then I found out about your blog and so wanted to let you know that Brad and I miss you guys, are thinking of you and are praying for a strong recovery for beautiful Rosina. We have already registered our bone marrow and would be happy to donate some blood but the blood banks always reject us cuz of the crazy countries we like to visit.(E.g. Last summer it was Zimbabwe and next month our family will be off to Papua New Guinea)
I look forward to keeping in touch and reading positive news about Rosina's road trip. Wishing you continued strength and lot's of love and healing thoughts, xoxo, Valerie and Brad
Hi Peter and Rosina, I finally got a chance to get to this blog and my heart is swollen with joy and wonder at how fanatastic your "diaries" are and how much love you have for each other. I wish I could make flan like you Rosina and bring you some. I will try to get to L.A. in the next few weeks and give plateletes and bring you one of my specialties. Until then I wish you no pain and much love from Lake Arrowhead. Nancy Corbett (Lupe's friend)
Post a Comment