Chemo began today at about 6pm. First is Idarubicin, seen here in this tube, which you get in an IV and it takes about an hour to go in. (Despite the fact that I photographed a tube, I promise I won't post lots of unappealing pictures of medical equipment. Although, Will shot an exciting one minute movie of the toilet flushing.) Two nurses must bring the bag to the room and double check the patient's name and id number before they hook it up to the IV pump. It's like those dudes in missle silos who have to synchronize turning their keys - but in a bag. You don't feel anything in particular. You get that once per day for three days. She also started Cytarabine which is given in a 24hr drip for seven days. The other three weeks (at least) in the hospital are really about recovering from the first week! Day ten is the lowest spot; your white blood count is very low, you feel bad, and visitors are very restricted. Day 18, you are much better. Drugs are available for just about any side effect. Rosina is smiling and is strong.I got more info on giving blood specifically for her. There will be a "blood order" in the donation facility at Cedars that needsto have your name on it. So, if inclined, let us know and we'll get your name on that list. then you call them for an appointment.
Also, people have asked how to leave a comment on the blog. Click on "comments" at the bottom of a post and a new window will open. You don't need to register with blogspot, you can just choose "anonymous", write in the box, and add your name at the bottom of your comment. Then click on "publilsh"
A freezing New Year's Day swim, 2006.
Thanks, everybody, xo ph
7 comments:
Peter,
Again, thanks for the update.
It must be somewhat nice (it's all relative, isn't it?) to know what to expect based on road trips by previous travelers.
I will definitely give my A+ blood. I thought I was getting a cold yesterday, today it seemed better and I want to be sure I'm purrrrfectly fine when I go in.
Hugs all around!
Liz
Oi Peter!
Peço à Deus p dar muita força para vocês!!
Você está sendo ótimo!! Como sempre um ótimo pai e um exelente marido!!!
Tudo vai dar certo!!!!
Muitos beijos!!!
Tati
Hey Guys,
I am going to check my blood type today with my doc and try to get in there tomorrow or friday. i am pretty sure i am A+. Call me Pete when you can so you can let me know when to pick up the form/good time etc. We want to bring some real food too! I'm so incredibly impressed by you and your strength and we are saying prayers for you every day. I just know that Rosina will beat this....EGV
Peter, Amy Kanter shared this with me. I've been through this long, strange trip with others, and there is a light at the end of it; stay strong. Apparently, one of my more positive attributes is my A+ blood, do I'm off to share. Please let me know if any of you need anything that I can help with. Peace, Elizabeth Federman
Dear Peter, Jack and I think of you constantly and tune in to your blog every a.m. Also staying in touch with Nance and David. I am curious about the mended table leg and how the chicken leg is holding up. Rosina is an incredible person as are you! The other thing I want to see is Will's video of the toilet flushing. Having dinner with your parents on Thurs. We love you very much. Cince and Jack Marshall
Peter - Mylene sent us this link. Your blog is beautiful. Thanks for keeping us in the know. We're thinking of you and Rosina constantly - I have that good A+ portuguese blood and would like to give. Will get in touch with you. xo Rose (& Audrius)
Peter, gracias por ponernos al dia a traves del blog - una idea estupenda. Estamos cruzando los dedos, (de los manos y de los pies tambien, lo que dificulta caminar un poco) para que todo salga bien. Estamos seguros que así será. Un abrazo muy fuerte para Rosina, para ti y los niños.
Juan y Wilfried
Post a Comment