Monday, June 11, 2007

Hospital Date 6/19/07



Rosina went to see Dr. Dunhill today. Her white blood count (WBC) was a little lower, although about the same, but her Neutrophils were low for the first time. These are a type of white blood cells and they are below a level that it qualifies as Neutropenia. Let's just say that you don't want that. She needs to be very careful about infection and eat cooked or canned food only. Still haven't gotten results on the cytogenics yet, which show chromosomal abnormities which will affect prognosis and the type of transplant down the road.

The plan is for Rosina to be admitted to Cedars-Sinai on Tuesday, June 19. After a day of tests (EKG, another bone marrow biopsy) and getting a PICC line (a fixed IV in your arm), she would start the treament the next day. It's a continuous IV for 7 days as well as a "quick push" for three days in a row - that's chemo. It's rough and makes you feel terrible. She will also need blood transfusions. She is A+, which matches with A+, O+ and others, I believe. If you would like to give blood for Rosina, or anybody else in need for that matter, you can contact the Red Cross. I'll get some more info on that. She has to plan on being in the hospital from 4-6 weeks, maybe less. After that, you have to maintain remission by continuing (chemo)therapy while you wait for a Bone Marrow Match. If you find a match early, you can avoid additional chemo cycles. Doesn't this blow?

She will be able to have visitors at the hospital generally, but they must be 110% healthy. If you are 110% healthy, could you please leave that extra 10% in the room when you leave? They don't use masks for vistors because they've found that it doesn't work/make any difference. Can't have any flowers or plants in the room. Instead of sending any flowers, Rosina would love it if you planted something at your own house and thought about her when you look at it. I'll be looking at Jake, Nina, and Will.

She can have her own pillows - phew.

All the love and care has been wonderful, we've had some amazing days this week. Rosina is all heart and it means a lot to her.

Tomorrow she is going to Disneyland with our kids and some others.
Thanks for the calls, comments, and emails.
love from r&p
xo ph

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be thinking of you when I look at the ocean.
XX00
Catharine

Anonymous said...

We are planting a Hastings family tree on Mesa in Colorado......Love, Gerry

Anonymous said...

Rosina, I will think of you every day as I meditate besides my japanese maple...fica felice, beijos. Pearson

Anonymous said...

So remember "the bird and the bee". Great melodies you won't be able to shake.
You guys know, more than most, how powerful good music can be.
I'm with you guys.Thoughts, prayers,you name it. Don't hesitate to let me know if there is any way I can help.