Thursday, January 3, 2008

Designated Donors

Rosina has received lots of blood and platelets over the course of her hospital stay. When you get a unit of blood that someone donated specifically for you, it has a yellow tag on it. The other day the nurse pulled the tag off for me and I put it in the pile. There are 23 designated donor tags. I'm impressed. If you are one of those donors - thank you!

Rosina is still in the ICU and has been for over six weeks. After a couple of very hairy weeks her condition has improved a bit. She continues to be more alert, has wiggled her toes and moved her knees, and for some reason, has insisted on keeping my reading glasses perched on the end of her nose. Nina was here showing her some photos and I put the glasses on Rosina. Whenever we take them off or ask if she wants them off, she shakes her head "no". She's had them on for three days and sleeps with them.

She is still getting dialysis and plasma exchanges. They say her kidneys will heal, but they need some time. The dialysis machine filters your blood and draws out excess fluids. It takes a machine about the size of a small fridge with wires and tubes and filters and gauges to do what two small fleshy things in your body do naturally. The body is an amazing thing, which is why it takes some much work to take care of it if something's not quite right.

Her white blood cell count got particularly low and there could be several causes for that, but the bone marrow biopsy didn't show anything worrisome, which means that it probably was more an effect of all the other treatments she was getting. It's been quite a chase taking care of the lungs, liver, kidneys, bone marrow, and general weakness. The white count seems to be rising. It was as low as .2 (4-10 being normal) and today it was 1.2.

While most of this is encouraging for us, for Rosina, as she wakes more, there are anxious times of trying to take it all in. She can only hear so much explanation, and generally just prefers having friendly faces there with her. Several of us have been taking turns spending the night. She's been receiving lots of loving care. And from the people Rosina knows, it is genuine, just the real deal. Months ago she put a post-it up above her desk at home where she had written "Love Heals". I think I'm going to frame it.

Still in the woods but looking for the meadow,

xo
ph

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter, although I have been reading your incredible blog since this difficult journey began, but have not posted a comment because you have so many close friends, while I am as you describe, "a friend form work!" But what the hell: As many others have commented, your family is a very special one, and I thought a lot about you and your children this holiday. With every ounce of my body and soul am sending Rosina love and wishes for a strong recovery. I am visualizing her beautiful self walking slowly out of those woods and into an open meadow, into the arms of you all. Much love, Kristine.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read the encouraging news. I look forward to visiting with Rosina in the next few days ( when the rain lets up a bit and we have no sniffles at home). xoxo, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter:
Great to read this update and see progress!
Love, Ramona

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Peter.
Good to have you back on blog - though I always tell myself that no news is no news.
The flow of love and care toward you guys from all directions can only help her sweet little body continue to recover.

I've out of town and returned with a rotten cold so will come visit when I'm 110% - I'll leave the extra 10% with her.....)

In the meantime, give her my love.

xo Liz

Anonymous said...

Peter et. all

So good, especially, to read this last message. Knowing she is in the woods is scary, and it is so good to know that some balance seems to be returning, not to mention that rosina is more alert to digest it all. I send you all love from cold Chicago, and, as always, am thinking of Rosina and wish her only the best.

- Pearson

Anonymous said...

I finally was able to shake off the awful cold I had and go see my girl. She had just been given a sedative so she didn't conciously know that I was there but I hope I left a piece of my hopeful spirit in the room to help in the journey upward into health. I can't remember when I have felt such a rush of love for someone that I didn't share a bed or DNA with. My visit was topped off with one of the most sincere hugs and detailed updating from your brother, John. What a delightful man. Hang in Peter, I can feel the sunshine peeking out slowly.

Sisterly,
Stephanie B.

Anonymous said...

With love to Rosina and all of you.

What an enormous team...............*

Always in thoughts and prayers of MANY, MANY********

Unknown said...

Vai frente guerrera. Nao deixa da luta, jamais jamais.

Anonymous said...

De onde me encontro sentada te vejo , minha amiga querida. Estou com você na floresta ainda escura, de mãos dadas com você e muitos mais que te amam tanto, seguimos rumo `aquela luz que nos espera ali na frente!
Você nunca está sozinha.
Com amor,
Zélia

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you guys, Peter, every day. Back to work Monday and with that harsh return I will continue to think of Rosina, you, Nina, Jake and Will. Love does heal. You all have mine.

- Sarah

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter,
I so look forward to the time when Rosina reaches the meadow, for all of your family to be there together with wildflowers, blue sky and big puffy white clouds. The day will come.
I send smiles and love of that moment,
bean

Anonymous said...

as long as i dont get like poison oak i'm cool with being in a meadow instead of maybe something way cooler like we are all mermaids and mom is in a cave and she has to meat us in the castle underwater

but whatever meadows are hardcore too

-nina

Anonymous said...

Pedro e familia,
Nessa fase dificil em que voces estao passando eu desejo muita luz e amor para todos voces. Que o Universo acolha a sua dor com o mesmo carinho que uma mae acolhe um filho.
Um grande abraco
Denise