Monday, September 3, 2007

How I Spent My Summer Vacation


School is starting for our three kids and I'm guessing that many people will just be finding out about Rosina's condition, so I thought I'd make a little recap of the summer for those who aren't up for reading the whole blog. Newer news is following.

Big Chunky Emotionless Version of the Story:
Toward the end of the last school year, Rosina had a pain in her side and went to get it checked out. It turned out to be nothing, but in the course of getting a normal blood test, it was revealed that her white blood count was very low. A series of blood tests and other stuff followed and on June 5th, she was diagnosed with Myelodysplasia, which was rapidly becoming AML or Acute Myeloid Leukemia. This is a type of fast growing leukemia that requires quick action. She went into Cedars on June 25 and stayed there for 31 days getting induction chemotherapy. She then came home for one month, then returned to Cedars for five days for a round of consolidation chemo. She has now been at home for week. She is looking at another round of consolidation chemo at City of Hope in Duarte, and then after that, the plan is to do a Bone Marrow Transplant which is a month to six week treatment also at the City of Hope. She is generally feeling fine and the treatment is going well. Now, for all the details, and my own little Leukemia tutorial, I invite you to read the posts below. They are in reverse order, though, so for the full reading experience, go all the way to the bottom and click on "old posts" and start from there. I promise that you will learn some things about leukemia, Rosina, and me. It's been quite a summer.


On the new news front, we went yesterday to the cancer clinic at Cedar's for blood work and all the numbers that we follow are going down, which is bad for you, but that's what the treatment is. White blood cells, hemoglobin, platelets, neutrophils, all dropping but she didn't require a transfusion which was nice so we didn't have to stick around. The best news of this past chemo round was that the dreaded rash that she got during induction didn't return. This time she was given some steroids which seemed to keep it away. There was a lot of trepidation about that rash as it was easily the toughest part of the chemo, and it hasn't reappeared. Unfotunately, due to the steroids, Rosina is ineligible for the Tour de France and her shot at the home run record is also out the window. She can, however, bench press 180. It has been super hot here in Los Angeles so everything has been slow and that's been okay. Everyone is getting ready for school by denying it completely. The carpool to Santa Monica has been tricky as Rosina can't be driving around, but our carpooling friends and neighbors have been picking up the slack - thanks so much for that, it's huge! We didn't really have a single day of regular summer activity, certainly no traveling or anything, but we have been able to see a tremendous amount of friends and family, all of whom have been very helpful.

Tomorrow she goes back for more blood work and possible transfusions. Tuesday the 11th, it's back to City of Hope for an appointment with Dr. Forman.

Thanks all for the comments, calls, emails etc.

xo
ph

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see all of you guys this Friday!
xoxo
M & D

Anonymous said...

Oh well, screw the Tour de France. Rosina has worked harder this summer than any guy on a bike. So have you all.
Sending xoxoxoxo...
amy k.

Anonymous said...

Oof. I just read everything. Then I had to go upstairs and take a nap. (this is called the Presbyterian Sleep Response) I had no idea until I saw Peter today... The blog is beautiful. Rosina is beautiful. Peter is beautiful. The children are spectacular. (but how did u get Cameron Diaz to pose with Jake and Will on Mother's Day??) Peter, rosinasroadtrip is an inspiration to all of us in your visible and invisible community. Rosina, I am in shock but I can't tell you how thrilled I was to get to the good news about your remission- blasted blasts!! and to know that the treatment, as arduous as it is, is progressing successfully. You will rise like a phoenix, gorgeous girl, from the flame. I know it!!
Meanwhile I think I am one of the O types but I can give platelets, right? Are they needed now? Sending so much love from our family, Nancy Barnet Kate Eliza and Mike , to yours xxxsN

Anonymous said...

Rosina,

Thinking of you and your family often. You are a remarkable woman and I salute you. This blog is amazing and quite a journey. Lots of love to you all.

xoxoalison d.