It's starting to feel like Astronaut Training Camp. Rosina was out at City of Hope yesterday and today getting "labs", "consults', "pre-op" and being fitted for a custom body cushion that will hold her perfectly still while she gets radiation. That alone took about an hour and a half, which was pretty good because they said it would be two and a half hours of lying on some silicone inflatable with her face covered with mesh material to keep her head from moving and at the same time giving her four permanant pin-point tatoos to use as reference points for the radiation. That's when I start wondering when are they going to put her in a centrifuge to measure how well she takes the G's during liftoff. Rosina is doing a clinical trial, of which they do a lot at City of Hope, with a type of radiation treatment, called TMI, or "timmy" as I like to say, that doesn't irradiate your whole body, it pinpoints where it needs to work. It's a new treatment and is less brutal on your body. She did have a consult with Dr. Wong, who is the boss of radiation who told her all about it. And if you've ever had surgical treatment, you know that they always do this worst case scenario talk which in your mind becomes Very Likely Case Scenario even though you know it's not, but it scares the crap out of you. The great one about radiation treatment is - it can give you cancer! Anyway, I'm just purging that thought here, because we don't think Rosina is anywhere near any of the worst case scenarios, and in fact, expect her treatment to go well.The treatment itself, however, has been postponed for a month. There are a lot of timing issues that go in to a Bone Marrow Transplant. Radiation has to be done at specific intervals, and the machines that are doing this specific treatment can get booked up. Also, a CT showed something that could possibly be an infection in Rosina's lung, and that has to be declared clear, and the other big timing issue is the marrow donor himself. Once the stem cells are "harvested" from the donor, they need to get into the recipient within around 24 hours. And in this case, that includes flying it from europe (we think). So you need to be ready for that and your prior treament (radiation and chemo) has to be timed just right so you are ready. Basically, you get a date from the donor and then back up ten days to start the treatment. And they could change their minds and/or plans. As of today, the long City of Hope stay is scheduled to commence October 29th.
Next week she's back to City of Hope for more prep stuff. Meet with the lung person, take a class in how to care for the Hickman catheter that has to be installed in her chest, see the doctor, and get a bone marrow biopsy to check on the leukemia remission status. Every one of those things is a big deal in itself and she has to do about fifteen of them just to get ready for the BMT. I say, I say, damn, girl! How'd you get so fly? It's a bit overwhelming, but she's hanging tough. The schedule change is a drag as that will now take her treatment up close to Christmas, but without any other schedule changes, she'll be home then. Thanks everyone for the kind words on locating a donor. That's a big step.
Please excuse the joke, but it's pretty true. Z - I'm very proud of you and how you're going through this, and you look bithcin', by the way. Keep it up, I'm with you.xo
ph
11 comments:
I've always felt like an unlikely older sister of Rosina's..but seeing her in the viking hat sealed the feeling...I always knew she had some Norsky in her! Sadly it took me five minutes of parsing the visual joke to get it. Once I called the donor "barrel" I finally broke through. Thinking of you always and loving you so. gerry
The other person in the room asked me why I was laughing. "I'm reading the blog about my sister-in-law's leukemia." She made no comment back. I heard on the radio yesterday that astronauts only get paid $60,000, so I'm not sure your training will pay for your treatment. We love you Z!
John & Margo
Dear Peter and Rosina,
Once again I've gotta thank you for sharing your roadtrip with us. You've got us all in the palm of your hand -- well actually, in your hearts. We're right there. Right there. Loving you all.
I shared your blog with my friend at the local Leukemia/Lymphoma Society, who will share it with others. Your humor, love and strength will inspire others going through the same journey. Much love, cuz Bets
p.s. Peter, you're so dang funny!
The two of you are absolutely amazing.....all the love, grace, and courage in the world. A lot of "stuff" you are going through.....but doing it with dignity and positive attitudes and patience. Jack and I think of you so much and you kn ow how much we love you!! Huge hugs from
Cince and Jack
peter...you are the most awesome partner that anyone could wish for. I am humbled in your presence as I always have been in the presence of your incredible wife.
Steph
Well, now you know what to write about for the "What I did on my summer and fall vacation" assignment. No one will top this.
Those who have written before me said it well: courage, strength, strength, and even humor (Thank God for THAT!) - are an inspiration to us all. Your guys are awesome. Keep up the "hangin' tough", and we're hangin' with you.
Love ya, love ya!!
Liz, DIck, and the boys
Wow!!!! Rosina/Peter: you guys are amazing. EGV
Guigui tenho acompanhado sua luta corajosa! VITORIOSA, tenho certeza! Que força, que amor e que equilíbrio seu maravilhoso companheiro transmite. Que Deus a proteja sempre, querida. Estamos todos torcendo para sua cura total. Beijos Anna Lucia
Wow. This is an amazing story. I can hardly believe you guys are actually experiencing it. Hang in there, Rosina!!! You're incredible!!!! You, too, Peter!!! Thanks for sharing so many details. We think of you often and we keep our fingers crossed (our form of praying). You're gonna beat this thing, I know it!
Big hugs and lots of love,
Julie and Steve and the kids
hello
ok
good
well kishan nunkoo
we want free girls
well ok
where email
we want u for sms 2309460735
thank u
end we aim girls
thank u
bye
hello
ok
good
well ok
thank u
well ok
bye
we want girls
we have less time
ok
good
sms on 2309460735
Post a Comment