I remember one point during this process, during a week of fear and joy, a week of intensity and closeness, a week of mortality, that I thought to myself: I love feeling these emotions – when I’m watching a movie! Honestly there are many times that I am reminded of a headline I saw in the satirical newspaper, The Onion, right after 9/11 which read “Shattered Nation Longs to Return to Meaningless Bullshit”. We don’t really long for that, but I certainly understand the feeling. Two things happen though: you decide that you don’t want the stupid stuff you used to occupy yourself with, and, maybe some of it wasn’t so stupid after all. Hose it down. In any case, it’s rich.Things have started picking up. I am sitting right now at City of Hope. We are here for a full day of testing and doctor visits – ECO, EKG, blood, lung test, chest x-ray, doctor visit, consent forms, CAT scan. I told Rosina she’s getting more medical treatment in one day than I’ve had in ten years. She said “I want your marrow.” I want your marrow? Is that hot or what? I wanted to French kiss her right through the face mask she’s wearing. The good news is that all of this is in prep for getting a bone marrow transplant, for a donor has been located! All we know is that a 44 year old male somewhere out in the world has a tissue type and stem cells that closely matches Rosina’s and he's willing to share. Wherever he is, he has come in to give blood and to continue the testing, so it looks like we’re on. Yea. (and) Holy crap.
Here’s the schedule. Because we’ve located a donor, Rosina can skip the next round of consolidation chemotherapy that we were planning on. She still has to do chemo before the transplant, though. She will need to come out here for two or three more visits for various things, and then on September 30, she will check in at City of Hope and begin radiation and chemo. Ten days after that begins (after her own body’s ability to make blood cells has been wiped out!), on October 10, she would receive the transplant. This is referred to as Day Zero. From that point you’re looking at 4-5 weeks in the hospital. As she told me on the phone yesterday, “I go in September 30, and I come home before Thanksgiving”. It's a long and intense stay. We saw the rooms at the hospital at COH where she'll be staying. It's really nice and in fact so is everyone we dealt with. You get the feeling that they really want to work at that specific place.
Thanks
xo
ph
10 comments:
Hallelujah re: donor! That is WONDERFUL news and I am opening a bottle of Prosecco to celebrate.
xo
D
The Onion and bone marrow in the same posting...sounds like a recipe to me!
We love The Onion...whoever this bone marrow guy is, we love him...we love you all...blah, blah, blah.
Chromosomes aside, Rosina will never be a man.
xox
Amy K.
Fantastic. Fantastic news. A wonderful donor for a beautiful woman.
xoxo
Mylène
Dear Rosina, Peter and family:
Hurray! This is great news!!!! We knew your great energy and goodness would draw a donor into your lives!!!
Love, Ramona
Mazel Tov!! Can we please find this angel donor and each hug him personally? What a beautiful piece of news...Praises to God, Buddha, and errbody else up there who made this happen for my girl.
Muah!
from Stephanie
Having been watching, silently but patiently, over the past months, I must say it is a true joy to hear such wonderful news. Road Trip, with each step of the way, seems more and more of an apt title. I send all of my love out West from the East and wish you guys many laughs in the coming week and lots of fortitude after that. Brincaderas e forte!
Tchao Tchao, Pearson
Dear Rosina, Peter and kids,
We're thrilled that a match was found!! Fantastic!!!! We'll be thinking of you throughout the process and we all send our love and best wishes for a comfortable journey! Please count us among your myriad friends who are here and ready if you need us for anything.
Lots of love, Julie & Steve and the kids
NOW we're talkin'! This is just spectacular. Actually, there is no word that is appropriate for this news. All words pale.
Congratulations, full speed ahead, and all that goes with it. We're thrilled!
XX Love and hugs,
Liz and all of the guys
P.S. Don't forget to invite the magic donor to the beach party on June 21st. We all want to hug him to pieces.
This is so exciting. I was really worried about your finding a donor.
Love,
C
peter, rosina and family, Wow!!!! this is so awesome! i'm so glad you found a donor!!!!! this is the best best best news ever! We are here if you need ANYTHING AT ALL. And as always, we have good thoughts and wishes and love to you all!!!!!
xo, Ellen, Jon, Caroline, Jack Vein
Post a Comment