
Above is a cartoon by our friend Rogerio that he did for Rosina's birthday today. She would have been 47. We went out with the kids to Sushi Ike as we've done for many many birthdays and Rogerio delivered a great hand drawn card as usual. Besides being spot on for Rosina (color is good!), it's also a reminder to carry on; although your circumstances may change, carry on. Of course, she looks great in white, too.
Some days are long, some are short, and we all have our moments. It is an odd sensation to be utterly convinced that something happened, yet still not believe it. It's not denial, it's shock. Sometimes the missing is a happy fleeting remembrance, and sometimes it's like staring into a dark hole of eternity (speaking from experience, try to avoid that when you're driving).

One week after she was gone, we had a memorial here at the house. For practical reasons I kept trying to come up with another place, but, as it's said, there's no place like home. I wanted it to be true to Rosina, and true to me, true to us. And it was. There were one hundred and fifty or maybe two hundred people here. Among the many people who told me how much they appreciated the day, I spoke to someone yesterday who said it was a little odd. Why? "Because it was such a good time." I just couldn't imagine a dour and grim service as paying tribute to Rosina. Friends and family spoke, read poems, sang songs and cried bunches while at the same time, all the attending children ran around outside and laughed. It was right. There was a fabulous group effort to get everything together, from the incredible food to the AV squad to the setting up and cleaning up. (I thank you!)

All week cold rain had been falling and more was predicted for that Saturday. Earlier, Will had asked me if Mom was going to try and contact us somehow. I told him that she would do it all the time, but in little ways; little things that we saw or that happened to make us think of her, that's how she'd do it. And as if to prove it, that Saturday the sun came out for a beautiful day of blue sky. A gorgeous day, and as people started to leave late in the afternoon, the clouds crept back in and it rained again. She opened a small window for us. It would have stayed open longer, but hey, she's new to this.
We are all back to our "normal" routine with occasional missed days and occasional blank expressions. It's still really early. But today with bright eyes we salute our dear Rosina's birthday and sing the song that is not a regular Brazilian birthday song, but one that we always sang together:

Saldamos o grande dia
que tu hoje comemoras
seja casa onde mora
a morada da alegria
o refugio da ventura
feliz anniversario!
(translation)
We salute the great day
That you commemorate
This house where you live
the dwelling of happiness
the refuge of joy
happy birthday!
xo
ph
16 comments:
It is so great to hear from you, Peter, as I think if you and Rosina and the kids often. Thanks for sharing Rosina's birthday with us. Your comments are beautiful. Rogerio's cartoon is perfect. I like the way he drew Rosina's nice round butt.
Love, Valerie
Peter, Jake, Nina and Will,
Regarding Will's question, yes, Rosa will be in touch with us by her love to art and nature.
The sea murmurs me of how she had embraced this rose and the sun tells that Rosina's warmth love and care will shine eternally. She will be with us always in that way, remembering us to be creative, open minded, loving, caring and surely sexy.
My love to you!
lea
Happy Birthday, Rosina. We're thinking of you.
Much love,
Scott K and Ellen P
Peter, Thank you. This is beautiful and incredibly helpful. We have always found being in the company of Rosina (even in the blogosphere) to be a refuge of joy.
When we were in Bhutan we thought of Rosina all the time because it is a place of no pretense. If the they need it, they make it. And a place of great reverence for those who have departed. They mount prayer flags on the hillside for the wind to disperse prayers for their beloveds.
When we were in India, we thought of Rosina because it is electric shock treatment to color, to exuberance, to great tastes.
We love you, Gerry and Kit
Peter,
Thank you SO much for sharing Z's birthday with us. I cannot believe that while you were feting her, she was being a presence for me as well -- I spent that entire day trying to locate her tomato soup recipe to include as a tribute in Archer's cookbook! I felt her laughing at my messy collection as she had to send it to me many times before when it got continually misplaced. I am going to sit in silence today and ask her to guide me to it -- tell Will I will let him know we do communicating....
All the Burtons are sending love & light....
Stephanie
I will save Rosina's communication to me for when we see one another, but surely it was LOUD and a giant kick in the pants. Happy Birthday my sweet. I miss you so. Thanks Peter.
A xxoo
Wonderful words from Peter as always and what a great cartoon by Rogerio...
Happy Birthday, Rosina. Always thinking about you, especially during my many conversations with Will in the past few months.
With love,
Sam (Bad Knee)
Peter, She is present, for sure. I keep seeing her, like a brief overlay on people, in shop windows, suddenly she's there, usually on a person who has her silhouette, or her hair, or way of walking. It's like I'm being winked at. Very comforting, when it's not disconcerting. As if dropping in to a different dimension for a moment and then not knowing whether to be relieved or disappointed when I realize, "Oh, that woman just looks like Rosina". Yeah, she's around, adding sharpness, and unexpected little moments of serendipity to these days. Roderick
Happy Birthday, Rosina. I love reading about how much joy you brought to everybody around you. How about that? You giving everyone else a gift on your birthday -- Thank you!
Good to hear your words again, Peter. I'm thinking about you guys lots.
Reid
Pedro, gracias por estas lineas tan hermosas. Nos hubiese gustado mucho estar con vosotros celebrando el cumpleaños de nuestra gran Z.
Como ya no esta limitada por el tiempo y el espacio nos acompaña de vez en cuando especialmente cuando pasamos por este pequeño riochuelo cerca de Arteas de abajo. ¿Te acuerdas?
Un abrazo para ti, Jake, Nina, Will y Sonia from Juan y Wilfried
Happy Birthday, Rosina! We're thinking of you!!!!
Peter, Jake, Nina and Will, you're in our thoughts often. With much love, Julie and Steve
Dear Peter,
always when I hear this Sting's song I remember of Rosina, her beautiful hair and this picture: http://bp0.blogger.com/_m29FeWLnWho/R05hH-HNYHI/AAAAAAAAATY/R4ubdqxAVJw/s1600-h/more+woods.jpg
When you mentioned the kids running at the party I remembered even more.
Fields of Gold - Sting
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in the fields of gold
So she took her love
For to gaze awhile
Upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold
Will you stay with me, will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we lie in the fields of gold
See the west wind move like a lover so
Upon the fields of barley
Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth
Among the fields of gold
I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
We'll walk in the fields of gold
We'll walk in the fields of gold
Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold
You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in the fields of gold
When we walked in the fields of gold
When we walked in the fields of gold"
Miss you all, you're always on my mind.
Love,
Olívia
[Marcus's & Anna's daughter]
I love You Mom
I love You Mom
I check in here every so often. The pictures. They make me imagine we'll soon be seeing Rosina and everyone on our next trip to LA or maybe Hanalei. So sweet to imagine, and to remember.
Gary
Peter, I cant believe i just found out this sad news today, through a mutual friend. It stopped me in my tracks. I found this site tonight while searching for info and details about Rozina's passing. The short time i new Rozina she was like a sister. I talk to her regarding the kids Jake and Nina's piano lessons and then chat when I'd arrive for lessons. She was always coming or going. She had a great energy. Sometimes she'd offer food she was cooking etc. Always smiling and always sweet and always kind. I remember some great interior design advice she gave me. So ran home and immediately painted my house using her advice. I always thought it was cool Peter was married to such a hip chick. :) Rozina was always cool in my book. Happy, Mellow and always made you feel welcome.
The last time i talked with Rozina was a few years ago. She called to inquire about starting Will with lessons. we caught up a bit but she never mentioned being sick or ill. I said if its cool with Peter I'd love to teach Wil.
Well, I never heard back from Rozina until now.
I watched your video. It was beautiful and touching and powerful. I just found out today..so it really impacted me seeing you spread her ashes into the ocean. I still cant believe it. I know it was a while ago..but like today for me.
two days ago i wrote a song. Its lyrics strangely fit the news and video i just heard and watched today. I would love to share it with you Peter.
Rozina Please say hello to Frinkle.
"We wander on
into the sea
marching in line
a sleep so divine
we hold the keys
to the locks and the binds
we wont be far gone
we've just wandered on"
GT
Post a Comment